Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some answers to some of our most Frequently Asked Questions. If you do not see your question here please feel free to ask us via e-mail and we shall see about an answer.
Is it Pics By Lis or Pics By Lisa and why?
- Pics By Lis, which is short for Pictures By Lisa. You can read a short poem about the name origin, which goes back to the 1980s, here: http://www.picsbylis.com/meet-the-critters/lisa/
Wait, your name is Lisa, why Lis?
- Like a certain Hobbit, I (Lisa) have earned a few nicknames over the years, starting with Lis…yes that is pronounced like “lease” not Liz. For some reason, that one-lettered second syllable is just too much for some folks (ahem…Lisa’s Dad and cousin started it).
So, why “the Down on the Farm Studio”
- Um… well, my studio is on my family’s farm and “Down on the Farm” is an old, old saying. Just seemed appropriate and fun.
Why are you in a wheelchair? Why do you use a walker? Why do you have two canes?
- Um, ask me about it in person sometime and I may tell you. I get asked this a lot, but do not want to focus on my health hindrances nor put too many personal details online, I would prefer to focus on my creative works. Thank you kindly for understanding. . ;0)
What is a T.I.A?
- Transient Ischemic Attack also called a mini-stroke.
Why are there watermarks on all your images?
- Defense against trolls, orcs, and leeches. Unfortunately thieves run amok and sadly my creative works have been victim of this. As a precaution so, hopefully, if they get through the fort walls this will hinder them some. I have tried to be less distracting with them. Also, if images are shared via social media and whatnot folks will be able to know the source.
What supplies do you to create…?
- For Photography I am a Nikon Photographer. You can see more specific gear here:
- For Digital Artwork mainly Adobe Photoshop with a Wacom Tablet.
- For Traditional Artwork as of Spring 2017 I am a Derwent Addict…ahem…Artist. You can see more specifics here:
- For Pieces of Light see this list:
- For Critter Express see this:
- For website design and hosting you can see below:
Will you design a website for me?
- Sorry, I no longer custom design websites for others. I offer advice or initial setup guidance on a very limited basis.
- I highly recommend purchasing a domain name with hosting from Doteasy.com. From there you can purchase site design or design your own. I have worked with Doteasy since 2001 and greatly value their hosting and customer service.
- This site is designed with WordPress. It does take some learning, but you can go as simple or as complicated as you like and be up and running in no time.
Will you photograph my wedding? Will you travel for custom photography?
- Sorry, I no longer do custom wedding photography. My health is very limiting and unpredictable, and I just physically cannot do wedding shoots anymore, even for short weddings. I used to work with Little Mountain Photography, Path of Memories Photography, and Hammond Photography but my health worsened and I had to give it up. Especially with these T.I.A.s happening more frequently, it is not a good idea.
- I do a very limited amount of custom photography each year. I am unable to travel for portraits anymore. I highly recommend Little Mountain Photography in NW PA and Hammond Photography in Vermont. I have worked with both and they create beautiful portraits.